Deadlands Classic : The Adventure Party
Combat Cheat Sheet
if you don't quite understand the Basics cheat sheet then look over there first…
When Combat starts
- if character is surprised roll cognition (tn 5) if expecting something or (tn 11) if they are not.
- If the roll fails no cards until passing a fair(tn5) guts check in following rounds.
- those who passed surprise check can make leadership rolls to keep others unsurprised
- roll quickness(tn5). draw a card from action deck,plus additional for a success and 1 for each raise.
- goin' bust means no cards
- red jokers can be used at any time (but cannot be sleeved); you also draw a random chip from fate pot,
- black jokers cause you to lose any cards up your sleeve and the deck is reshuffled next round. -Marshall draws from fate pot
- Action counts down from ace to deuce and you take your actions when your cards are called .
- Suit initiative - Spade -> Heart -> diamond -> club
Cards up the sleeve.
When a card comes up in a round, you can choose to keep it up your sleeve to use at any future time in this combat or for interruptions - until the black joker is drawn
Interrupt - with a card up your sleeve you can interrupt another characters action with an opposed quickness(tn5) test.
- success means simultaneous actions
- success+raise you move first
- each square is 2 yards(or 2 pace)
- walking has a -2 to shooting
- moving at double your pace is running and you have a -4 penalty on other actions.
you can fire your weapon's ROF each action.
shootin' is (tn5) + range divided by weapons range modifier.
roll your shootin' and hit location(d20) and reliability (if using mad science [d20])
Other shootin' related actions:
- draw a bead: each action spent drawin' a bead ads +2 to your shootin' roll up to a +6.
- vamoosin', gettin' distracted, or stunned loses the bonus.
- call a shot
|head, hands, feet||-6|
- draw a weapon
- quickdraw: roll tn5 get to pull a weapon and fire in the same round.
- (-2 modifier for pullin' 2 guns )
- (+2 for a quickdraw holster)
- reload: one bullet per action. automatics usually require 2. speed load clips require 2 actions.
- speed load: fail still yields 1 bullet
|fail||load 1 bullet,
speed load in normal time
|tn5||speed load clip in 1 action|
|tn9||2 bullets in chamber|
|tn11||3 bullets in chamber|
- fan the hammer: using a single action pistol with a free hand, fire up to 6 shots in an action.
- -2 on shootin' roll, each raise means another bullet has hit a target.
- Can choose to hit adjacent targets (2 yards away)
- dual pistols: suffer a -2 for main hand, and -6 for off-hand (unless you've got 2 gun kid merit)
fightin' has to beat a (5) roll to land an attack. +2 to location. called shots work the same,
2 handed attacks in same round work the same
- weapons with a defensive bonus have that number added to opponents attack target number
- bolas whips and lariats ensare target if they beat opponents dodge roll
|1-4||legs – (odd – left: even-right)|
|10||gizzards (+1 damage dice)|
|11-14||arms (odd-left: even-right)|
|20||noggin (+2 damage dice)|
- +2 when fightin'
- +2 advantage with waist high advantage
- +4 head high
- raises allow you to adjust hit location up and down by 1 point
Test o' Wills – scare an opponent into submission without pullin' a trigger
bluff vrs scrutinize | overawe v guts | ridicule v ridicule
|success||unnerved||target has -4 on next action|
|1 raise||distracted||target loses cheat card or next highest card|
|2 raise||broken||unnerved + distracted and character gets to draw from fate pot.|
burn your highest action card (or sleeve card) to avoid an attack before damage is rolled
- dodge opposed by shootin' (for missile attacks)
- fightin' by fightin' :(if fighting, character has to move back 1 square or suffer -4 on vamoose roll.)
damage rolls for weapons are the sum of all dice instead of the highest number,
if a weapon has a trait or attribute roll, its the highest number of the trait roll, plus all the damage
+1die of damage for gizzards, +2 dice for noggin (no extra dice if using hands)
Wounds levels damage total divided target's size.
characters suffer a negative modifier of their highest wound level on all rolls.
Serious and higher wounds bleed out wind each round.
|serious||-3 bleeds 1 wind/round|
|critical||-4 bleeds 2wind/round|
|wound||-5 bleeds 3 wind/round|
Wind: roll 1d6 for each wound level received & lose that much wind. open ended roll
Stun: roll vigor against wound level – failure means no actions until succeed at recovery check.
when no wind is left, go unconscious -
- wind can be recovered by an easy (tn3) medicine roll or at 1 wind per minute.
- requires a medicine check at the same level of difficulty as the stun check
- natural healing gets to roll vigor every 5 days.
- maimed in limbs means loss, in guts, gizzard, head: death
|aptitude roll||1 exta die per chip spent.
Cannot be used with red or blue
|roll a bonus die and add to roll. can only spend 1 chip per action. Marshall draws from fate pot on use||roll a bonus die and add to roll.||reroll any die roll, including busts|
|wound negation||1 wound
or 5 winds
| 2 wounds
or 10 wind
|3 wounds or 15 wind||5 wounds or all wind|
need more? go to the Unique Firearms Cheat Sheet